Sitecore is a customer experience management company that provides web content management and multichannel marketing automation software. The company was founded in 2001 in Denmark.
History of Sitecore
1998: Founding and company beginnings
In 1998 in Copenhagen, Denmark, University of Copenhagen alumni Thomas Albert, Jakob Christensen, Peter Christensen, Ole Sas Thrane, and Michael Seifert cofounded Pentia A/S, a systems integration company that focused on implementing websites built on Microsoft technologies. At the time, building and managing websites required the expertise of a programmer or developer. Ole Sas Thrane and Jakob Christensen devised a set of methods for automating those processes and decided to turn their invention into a marketable product that would today be classified as a web content management system. Michael Seifert was the CEO of Sitecore for from 2001 until 2017 where current CEO Mark Frost took over.
2001: CMS and Experience Profile
In 2001, Sitecore was spun off as a separate business entity that initially sold content management systems in the Danish market to IT departments. However, the company has grown into a global provider of customer experience management software targeted primarily to corporate marketing departments and marketing service providers.
Michael Seifert has been the company's CEO since its founding in 2001. His method for collecting human experience analytics data was awarded US Patent 8,255,526 in August 2012.
2011: Purchase of Pectora
- 2011 July 5: Sitecore acquired the development team and the intellectual property of Pectora, provider of web publishing solutions for deep integration with print-based projects.
2013: Purchase of Microsoft Commerce Server
- 2013 November 20: Sitecore acquired the assets of commerceserver.net for an undisclosed sum from Smith (formerly Ascentium) and took responsibility and ownership for developing, marketing, and selling Commerce Server, a former Microsoft product Sitecore announced an early access program for its Sitecore Commerce product on August 5, 2014.
2014: Purchase of Komfo
On 2014 July 8: Sitecore acquired a majority stake in Komfo, a Danish social media marketing and community engagement application provider, and introduced its social media marketing suite, Sitecore Social.
2015-Present: CMS and Experience Profile
In the latter part of 2015, a portion of Sitecore's operations moved to Marina Plaza in Sausalito, California.
Sitecore is currently on version 9, which was initially released in October 2017.
Sitecore Experience Platform is software for content management and contextual marketing.
- Sitecore 5
- Sitecore 6.0
- Sitecore 6.1
- Sitecore 6.2
- Sitecore 6.3
- Sitecore 6.4
- Sitecore 6.5
- Sitecore 6.6
- Sitecore 7.1
- Sitecore 7.2
- Sitecore 7.5
- Sitecore 8.0
- Sitecore 8.1
- Sitecore 8.2
- Sitecore 9
- Dynamic placeholders which allow developers to create modern, dynamic websites
- New installation framework which makes setup much easier
- Cortex machine learning and improved marketing automation for emails, also including 'drag-and-drop' functionality
- New 'Experience Cloud'
- Sitecore Experience Commerce 9
- ^ "Pentia: About Us". Retrieved .
- ^ Thrane and Christensen, United States Patent 7,856,345, Method for building and managing a web site, December 2010
- ^ "Sitecore triples size in Sausalito move". North Bay Business Journal. 2014-08-04.
- ^ Seifert and Christensen, United States Patent 8,255,526, "A method for collecting human experience analytics data", August 2012
- ^ "Sitecore Adds Print Media to Customer Engagement Platform via Acquisition". CMS Wire. July 5, 2011. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Sitecore Acquires Commerceserver.net to Extend .NET CXM Play". Gartner Inc. November 27, 2013. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Social media marketing from Sitecore". KM World. July 14, 2014. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Sitecore Technical Debt". sagittarius.agency. Retrieved .
- ^ Lamont, Judith (February 2016). "Marketing automation's role in personalization and contextualization". KM World. Available from: Business Source Premier. 25 (2): 29. ISSN 1099-8284.