Open Text Corporation
||Tim Bray, Gaston Gonnet, Frank Tompa
||Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
|Mark Barrenechea, CEO & CTO
Steve Murphy, President
||Enterprise content management (ECM), business process management (BPM), customer experience management (CEM), information exchange, discovery and analytics software
||US$ $1.936 billion (FY 2015)
Number of employees
|14,467 (as of March, 2017)
OpenText Richmond Hill Office
Open Text Corporation is a Canadian company that develops and sells enterprise information management (EIM) software.
Open Text (also referred as OpenText) is headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, is Canada's largest software company as of 2014 and recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers 2016 by Mediacorp Canada Inc.
Open Text software applications manage content or unstructured data for large companies, government agencies, and professional service firms.
Open Text aims its products at addressing information management requirements, including management of large volumes of content, compliance with regulatory requirements, and mobile and online experience management.
Open Text employs over 10,000 people worldwide and is a publicly traded company, listed on the NASDAQ (OTEX) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (OTEX).
Open Text Corporation was founded in 1991 by University of Waterloo professors Frank Tompa, Timothy Bray, and Gaston Gonnet. It was a successor to Open Text Systems Inc., founded in 1989. The company was spun off from a University of Waterloo project that developed technology to index the Oxford English Dictionary.
Key people involved later include Tom Jenkins, who joined the company as COO in 1994. Tom Jenkins later became President and Chief Executive Officer, and has been Executive Chairman since 2013. John Shackleton served as President from 1998-2011, and as CEO from 2005 - 2011. Mark Barrenechea has been President and CEO of Open Text since 2012. Mark Barrenechea was named Canadian Business CEO of the year in 2015  In January 2016 Mark Barrenechea announced Steve Murphy as the new President of Open Text 
Open Text is a supporter of the University of Waterloo Stratford Campus, contributing both funds and in-kind services to the school.
On September 12, 2016, OpenText, acquired Dell EMC's ECD division including; Documentum, an enterprise content management suite for $1.6B USD.
The growth of Open Text has largely been through acquisitions:
- MESSAGEmanager Solutions
- eMotion LLC
- Spicer Corporation
- Microstar Software
- PS Software Solutions
- Information Dimensions
- Lava Systems
- thinktank technologies
- ^ "Open Text 2015 Annual report"
- ^ "Top 25 Canadian Software Companies"
- ^ Nick Waddell. "Cantech Letter interviews John Shackleton of Open Text". Cantech Letter.
- ^ "Ontario Liberals give $120M grant to Canada's largest software company". CTV News Canada.
- ^ "Recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers 2016". Mediacorp Canada Inc.
- ^ "Open Text Corporation Annual Report 2016" (PDF).
- ^ "Open Text Corporation - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Open Text Corporation". Reference for Business. Advameg, Inc. Retrieved .
- ^ Silcoff, Sean (2015-07-19). "Waterloo startup to software leader, Open Text pins future on digitization". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. Retrieved .
- ^ Nick Bontis, ed. (2011). World Congress on Intellectual Capital Readings. Routledge. p. 7.
- ^ "Investor FAQs | OpenText". investors.opentext.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Top New CEO of the year". Image and data manager. 2016-07-07. Retrieved .
- ^ http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/opentext-announces-ceo-to-assume-additional-role-of-chief-technology-officer-and-appointment-of-a-new-president-300197097.html
- ^ "Grand opening for UW Stratford Campus". Kitchener.
- ^ "Waterloo company Open Text signs deal to buy Dell EMC division for $1.62B". Toronto Star. The Canadian Press. September 12, 2016. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Open Text buys Dell EMC ECD". 2016-09-12.
- ^ "Open Text buys HP capture and output management products". Image and data manager. 2016-06-29. Retrieved .
- ^ "Open Text Buys Recommind, Inc.". prnewswire.com.
- ^ "Open Text acquires HP customer experience content management for $170 million". TechCrunch.com. 2016-04-18. Retrieved .
- ^ "Open Text Buys Daegis Inc.". prnewswire.com.
- ^ "Open Text Buys Operitel for Learning Software". PCWorld by IDG.
- ^ "Open Text to Acquire Nstein Technologies". PRNewswire-FirstCall.
- ^ "Cory Doctorow; USC Center on Public Diplomacy". Uscpublicdiplomacy.com. 1971-07-17. Retrieved .
- ^ a b Rao, Madanmohan (2003). Leading with Knowledge: Knowledge Management Practices in Global Infotech Companies. McGraw Hill. p. 365. ISBN 0070499608.