|A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2016)
||Nashua, NH USA and Stockholm, Sweden
|Mark Duffell, President and CEO / James Norwood, Executive Vice President Strategy and CMO
||Episerver Digital Experience Cloud
Episerver is a global software company offering web content management (WCM) (or CMS), digital commerce, and digital marketing, through the Episerver Digital Experience Cloud software platform. Episerver also offers personalization through Peerius, a company acquired in August 2016.
Episerver was founded in 1994 in Stockholm, Sweden, by Mikael Runhem. Then known as Elektropost Stockholm AB, the company focused on internet-based electronic mail. Elektropost Stockholm AB expanded to provide technology for building websites and introduced the first version of the EPiServer CMS platform in 1997.
In 2002, the first version of EPiServer CMS that was based on Microsoft's .NET Framework, EPiServer CMS 4.0, was launched. In 2006, Mikael Runhem changed the company's name to EPiServer AB. In 2007, the second .NET-based version of EPiServer CMS was launched, version 5.
In 2010, the company was owned by a group of investors, including Amadeus Capital, Martin Bjäringer, Monterro Holdings, Northzone Ventures, Mikael Runhem and family and employees. In November 2010, this group sold the company to IK Investment Partners.
In December 2014, IK Investment Partners sold Episerver to Accel-KKR, a technology-focused private equity investment firm. Accel-KKR had also recently purchased Ektron, a Nashua, New Hampshire-based CMS company. In January 2015, Episerver and Ektron merged. Two former executives from KANA Software, CEO Mark Duffell and CMO James Norwood, were appointed President and CEO and Executive Vice President Strategy and CMO of Episerver, respectively. Martin Henricson, CEO of the former Episerver business assumed the role of Executive Chairman for the merged entity.
The company combined its software into the Episerver Digital Experience Cloud, and in June 2015, Episerver launched the first major release of its platform following the Ektron merger. In November 2015, the company rebranded itself, changing EPiServer to Episerver, and including the shortened name "Epi".
In August 2016, Episerver acquired Peerius, a London UK-based commerce personalization company. The entity continues to operate as Peerius, an Episerver Company, and Peerius CEO Roger Brown remains in his current role, reporting to Mark Duffell, Episerver President and CEO.
Mergers and acquisitions
- March 1, 2012: Episerver acquired Mediachase, an e-commerce and collaboration software solutions provider.
- May 8, 2012: Episerver acquired 200OK AB, a Swedish enterprise search solutions provider.
- May 6, 2013: Episerver acquired Swedish search provider, Euroling.
- January 27, 2015: Episerver merged with Ektron, a New Hampshire-based CMS company.
- August 31, 2016: Episerver acquired London-based Peerius, an omnichannel commerce personalization engine.
Awards and recognition
- 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrant for WCM: Leader
- 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce: Niche Player
- 2015 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals: Challenger
- 2015 Gartner Magic Quadrant for WCM: Leader
- 2015 Forrester Wave: Digital Experience Platforms: Contender
- Software Magazine's 2015 "Software 500"
- 2015-2016 Econtent Magazine's Top 100 Companies in the Digital Industry
- 2015 Microsoft IAMCP Cloud Partner Winner (US)
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management: Visionary
- 2013 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management: Visionary
- 2013 Info-Tech Research Group's Vendor Landscape Report for Web Experience Management: Champion
- 2013 Info-Tech Research Group's Vendor Landscape Report for Web Content Management: Innovator
- 2012 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management: Visionary
- ^ Tamturk, Venus. "Episerver Buys Peerius to Boost Autonomous Personalization". CMS Connected. CMS-Connected. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Guseva, Irina. "Web CMS Vendor EPiServer Acquired by a Surprising Buyer". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ "IK Investment Partners acquires Episerver". Episerver. Retrieved 2010.
- ^ Backaitis, Virginia. "Not a Rumor: Accel-KKR Invests in Episerver". CMSWIre. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ Stern-Peltz, Mikkel. "IK sells EPiServer to Accel-KKR". Unquote. Mergermarket Limited. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Episerver and Ektron merge". KMWorld. Information Today Inc. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ Seebacher, Noreen. "Told You So: Ektron is Merging with Episerver". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Episerver and Ektron merge and target the mid-market for digital experience". Ovum. Informa PLC. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ Nicastro, Dom. "Episerver Taps Ektron Roots in New Release". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ Backaitis, Virginia. "Episerver Tries to Rebuild its Brand". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Episerver Acquires Business of e-Commerce Solution Provider Mediachase". Yahoo! Finance. Yahoo!. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ "Episerver Acquires 200OK AB, an Enterprise Search Solution Provider". Episerver. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ Berthiaume, Dan. "Episerver Scales for Big Data, Better Content Targeting With 200OK AB Acquisition". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2012.
- ^ Castro, Marc. "Euroling Acquired by Episerver". Venture Capital Post. Retrieved 2013.
- ^ "Episerver Once Again Named a Leader in Gartner(TM) 2016 Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management". Episerver. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ Nicastro, Dom. "Gartner Names Web Content Management Leaders". CMSWire. Simpler Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "The Forrester Wave(TM): Digital Experience Platforms, Q4 2015". Forrester. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "Software Magazine's 2015 "Software 500". Software Magazine. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "The Top 100 Companies in the Digital Content Industry: The 2015-2016 EContent 100". EContent. Information Today Inc. Retrieved 2015.
- ^ "International Association of Microsoft Channel Partners Announces Winners and Finalists in the 2015 IAMCP Member Awards Program" (PDF). International Association of Microsoft Channel Partners (IAMCP). Retrieved 2015.